The Trip to Mauritius
Air Mauritius is the preferred travel partner of RE/MAX 24 Mauritius. Our team regularly visits property show around the world, and being in the hands of a professional team makes the trips (with all our show material and equipment) such an easy, start and end to each journey! If you’re visiting the island for business or pleasure, we recommend Air Mauritius!
With beginnings in 1967, Air Mauritius helped to connect Mauritius to the rest of the world, regularly opening new routes. With flights to and from Europe, Asia, Australia, and Africa, Air Mauritius now serves 24 regional and international destinations.
COMMITMENT TO SERVICE EXCELLENCE
More than just an airline, Air Mauritius acts as an ambassador for Mauritius. They bring you the spirit of this country and its people on each of your flights with the special attention that their Mauritian crew provides, as well as a range of quality services. Air Mauritius has received several international awards recognizing the quality of its service on the ground and in flight, including several distinctions at the prestigious World Travel Awards for Leading Airline.
YOUR SAFETY COMES FIRST
As an IOSA-certified (IATA Operational Safety Audit) airline, for Air Mauritius your safety and security is their top priority. The fleet consists primarily of Airbus aircraft with state-of-the-art equipment. In addition, the company is, approved by the EASA (European Aviation Safety Agency), and can perform maintenance on the aircraft of European operators.
Country Information for Mauritius
Capital City: Port Louis
Currency: Mauritian rupee
Language: French, English
Calling Code: +230
Internet TLD: .mu
Electricity: Mauritius runs on 220V or 125V 50Hz. The Central Electricity Board is the sole transmitter and distributor of the power in the country. They produce about 40% of power.
Residents Visa and Work Permit information
The following countries are required to obtain a visa prior to travel: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Kosovo, Laos, Libya, Mali, North Korea, Pakistan, Palestine, Philippines, Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, South Sudan, Syria, Taiwan, Vietnam, Yemen. The rest are either exempted from visa regulations or are eligible for visa on arrival. The Mauritian Passport and Immigration Office has a full list of visa regulations and exemptions for each country.
A residence permit is required to stay in the country beyond 90 days or the duration of a tourist visa. There are two cases that can enable an expat to extend their stay in Mauritius: Employment, or marriage with a Mauritian citizen. Expats on tourist visas may not apply for a residence permit in the country. Expats who have secured employment with a Mauritian company or a sponsor, or self-employed individuals who can show proof of substantial income are eligible for an employment residence permit and work permit. Applications will be submitted to the Prime Minister’s Office, either by the sponsor or a representative.
- Application Form to Enter Mauritius to be filled and signed by the applicant or by representative on his behalf.
- Two recent passport size photographs of the applicant and his dependents where applicable.
- Photocopy of the data pages of applicant's passport.
- Letter of sponsor from the company or local counterpart.
- Documentary evidence that work permit has been applied for.
- Applicant to produce documentary evidence of family relationship, if accompanied by family or any dependent i.e. birth and marriage certificates.
- Applicant's children, who have attained the age of 18 years, should apply for residence permit separately with sponsoring letter from parents.
- For detailed information about visas and residency, please visit the Mauritian Prime Minister’s Office site >>
Opening a Bank Account in Mauritius
Documents Required to open an account pertaining to foreigners(Non-Mauritian Residents):
- Certified true copy of passport (Copy of front & back details)
- Original Proof of Address(No older than 3 Months)
- Original Bank reference letter (stating that client maintains the account for more than 2 years and same is operated in a satisfactory manner)
- Copy of CV/Profile
- 6 Months Bank Statements from main banker
- Proof of revenue / Source of Wealth
In addition, kindly note that:
- All documents will have to certified as a true copy by a lawyer or notary;
- The lawyer or a notary will need to affix his/her seal;
- The lawyer or a notary will need to provide a copy of his/her certificate as allowing him to practice as lawyer or notary
- All signatures have to be witnessed by the same lawyer or notary
The process is as per below:
- Upon receipt of the above mentioned documents, the bank shall prefill the account opening forms and send same by email for signature to the client.
- Once the bank has vetted the scanned copies of the account opening pack, the client will thereafter have to send the original signed forms to enable them to proceed.
Expats may use a valid domestic license and an international license to drive legally in Mauritius for one month. Beyond that, they will have to secure a Mauritian driving license. This can be done through the Traffic Department at the nearest police station.
- Birth Certificate
- Transaction ID from online registration at www.govmu.org
- National Identity Card or Student Card
- Marriage Certificate (if applicable)
- Original Work and Residence Permit + Passport (for non-Mauritian citizens)
- For more information please visit the Mauritius Police Force site >>
Medical: 999, 114
Fire: 995, 115
Police: 999, 112